Want to be healthy or get healthy? Flaxseeds and Chia Seeds pack a powerful punch for health. Flax and Chia are high in Omega-3’s. Omega-3’s build healthy cell membranes and affect how cell receptors function. When enough Omega-3 is in the cell membrane create the flow of nutrients to come in as well as wastes can exit the cell. The practical outcome is lowered inflammation and cells that can consume the good foods you eat.
A quality blender is a must. It needs to pulverize greens & seeds without heating them up. I use Vitamix. The Exploration series will do the trick (Refurbished/Renewed (3 year warranty) or New (7 year warranty). I purchased the 5200 with a 48oz container over five years ago and use it daily.
- 5-7 Handful of greens (spinach, power greens mixture)
- 1 handful to 1/2 Cup Raw Flax Seed or Raw Chia Seeds (whole, organic and unground is ideal)
- 1 Banana
- 4-6 Strawberries
- 1 1″ slice fresh pineapple (de-skinned & cut into pieces)
- Fill the blender container 75% full of greens. Smash them down into the blender with your hand. Pack it til it’s 75% full.
- Fill the blender container with water to the greens line. No higher.
- Add flax seed. No soaking. If you are in very good health, use a handful. If you have an inflammatory illness (heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, fibromyalgia, gout, skin breakouts … start with a handful and work up to 1/2 Cup or more.
- Fill remaining 25% of container with fruit. Fill to the top. Yup, the top. Tip: Slice and freeze fruit so your smoothie is extra cold.
- Blend for 2 minutes. This will ensure the seeds are fully ground.
Helpful Things To Know
- Drink slowly, sipping over an hour or more. It will have a thick consistency. If it’s too thick for your taste, add a bit of water. I leave mine thick and have water handy in a separate glass as well. Store refrigerated no more than 24 hours before consuming.
- Meal Replacement? Yes, this smoothie has everything you need. If your hungry, you can have more or eat from the garden.
- How much? Are you healing or trying to loose weight? Drink 1-2 smoothies a day. Start at 48oz and work up to 64oz. More is ok if your hungry.
- Omega3 fats do not make you fat. These fats are cell building and if not used will flush through. If your bowels soften too much or you get discomfort, cut your amount of seeds in half and then work back up over several days. This gives your body time to adjust. Remember cells can heal or create new healthy one’s only so fast.
- Seed Storage: Store in the refrigerator and grind right before use.
- Variety: Use a variety of fruit in the 25% of space in the blender. Seasonal fruits like mango in the warmer months are amazing! It’s a vacation in a glass.
- Water! Beyond your smoothie, drink water. Mayo Clinic recommends .5oz – 1 oz water for every pound of body weight. For the average adult that is 96 ounces to 120 ounces a day. Doctors also recommend no more than a gallon. Water is the river the cells need to release healing, gain muscle, loose fat and detox. You’ll know your hydrated when your urine is clear or very soft yellow.
Fun fact: it probably took you longer to read this recipe and helpful tips, than the time it takes to make a smoothie!